Tim Neale is a writer and researcher at the University of Melbourne. His research concerns political ecology, econationalism and historical geography in the settler-colonial south, and his writing has appeared in journals such as Australian Humanities Review and Hue & Cry.
- "We are not sovereign agents and knowers."
- "This does not open up the educational space to create contexts or challenge meanings, to ask what the University is here for and what it is up to."
- "Distributed cognition is not made up only of practices and disciplinary protocols, but also of idiosyncratic actors and unpredictable activities."
- "Given the above, might we not regard standard ‘equity’ policies as a strategic guarantee against political rapprochement, or an apparatus for the creation of new markets out of those previously excluded by economic or social marginalisation?"
- "In this schema, the Humanities seem to be caught in a bind, thanks to the conflict between distributed cognition—where the subject (student or staff) is not autonomous, not Romantic, not individualised, caught as they are between different cognitive practices and practitioners—and a foundational belief in the cognitive autonomy of the subject."
- "As it certifies my mastery of a given faculty—my passing of their testing processes—these institutions and archives continuously formalise and normalise themselves as the prime site for the official recognition of my thinking."
- "We do not control or provide rationale for the larger system in which we are situated."
- "The University has thoughts separate from the thinkers that are thinking within it."
- "But in the University Generic, competence in the manipulation and critique of cognitive practices is limited to teacher- researchers, generating knowledge that is rarely imparted to students as its purpose is actually to accredit the University Specific and the scholar in their ‘counting’ competition with others Universities and scholars."
- "A peer of leading autonomous Universities Specific that therefore maintains a status as a leading iteration of the University Generic cannot, at least by definition, also produce critique or novelty."